WebSite Picture Gallery I
Larger images of most of the following butterflies and moths are available
by clicking on the images shown.
- Apollo (Parnassius
- Found in mountain districts of Europe, extending into central Asia.
Classifying characteristic is red markings on the hindwing, but not the
forewing. Males are smaller than females. The velvety black caterpillar, with
a line of orange-red spots on its sides, feeds on stonecrop (Sedum) and
- Cleopatra (Gonepteryx
- Told by faint orange streak on the underside of the forewing. Occurs in
Spain, southern France, and Italy to Greece, North Africa, and the Canary
Islands which has a distinct race called the Canary Island brimstone. The bluish
green caterpillar with white side stripes feeds on buckthorn (Rhamnus)
- Twin-Spotted Sphinx (
- Found in Canada and USA. The caterpillar is green with white, diagonal
stripes along the sides, and a straight, purplish pink or blue tail-horn. It
feeds on the foliage of apple (Malus domestica) (1).
- Zebra Butterfly (Heliconius
- Elongated wings, dark brown to black, transverse yellow stripes; row of
yellow spots on hind wings; larvae feed on passion flower vines; adults fly in
dense woods, and at their edges; found in Florida and along Gulf coast to
- 1. Carter, David. 1992. Eyewitness Handbook of Butterflies and Moths.
Dorling Kindersely, New York.
- 2. Corel Draw 4.0 Clip Art CD-ROM
- 3. Arnett, Ross H. Jr., and Dr. Richard L. Jacques, Jr. 1981Simon &
Schuster's Guide to Insects. Simon and Schuster, New York.
... Butterfly WebSite
Last Updated: Feb. 1, email@example.com
© copyright 1995-1997 Mikula Web Solutions; all rights reserved.